Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Camping Trip Down Memory Lane....

Garland and I took the girls back to Ithaca, NY this past weekend where it all began.  We lived in Ithaca from late 2003 through August 2006 while I was in grad school at Syracuse and he was at Cornell.  It was a special time and place for us because we got engaged there, married and then had Eleanor before leaving to come to Mass.  We decided to head back this weekend to meet up with some old friends from Ithaca.  AND, not only did we go back but we decided to rough it and CAMP.  Yes, that's right, we took the three girls camping and let me just say, it was a blast.  And this was due, in large part, to the company we kept.   

We began the trip by stopping at Brooks BBQ in Oneonta, NY.  It was delish!


When we got to Ithaca, we headed straight for our old house and, I'll admit, I got a lot little bit weepy.  It really was a special time and we were very happy to reminisce.  The house looks good, eh?  

After seeing the house, we headed straight for our campground at Taughannock Falls State Park and got set up.  Our friends, the Jordans and Tolsons, were already there so it was time to get the party started!  The girls had a BLAST playing with their friends all day long!

Friday night found us at my very, very, very favorite restaurant in Ithaca.  It is very unassuming but excellent Greek food.  I still crave their chicken souvlaki plate with greek salad and THE BEST tzatziki I've had since being in Greece.  YUM!!

It wouldn't be a camping trip if we weren't making S'Mores around the fire.  Delish!

Eleanor really, really loved these tasty treats.  

The kids stayed up late but surprised us by sleeping in.

Our second day in, we decided to hike up to the actual falls.  It's a very easy path and the kids were able (barely) to make it to and from.  Pretty funny was the fact that I ran into a good friend from Longmeadow on the trail who was touring upstate NY with her family!  

Don't you think Ginger had the best seat in the house for the hike?

A little family picture on the trail.

A view along the way...

The Jordans and Buchanans with the falls in the background.

A better view of the falls.  They are even higher than Niagara Falls!

And Elle with her best buds Maeve and Brigid Jordan.

3 comments:

Molly Hammond said...

i love the buchanan family pic! glad you had a great trip - can we come next year!?

Colleen said...

I agree - great picture! So glad you all had such a fun time!!

Rebecca said...

success! looks like a blast. we wave at the old house every time we drive by.